Urgent repairs

The law distinguishes between urgent repairs and those which are not so urgent.    Urgent repairs are legally defined as follows:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  • a failure or breakdown of the hot water service
  • a failure or breakdown of the stove or oven
  • a failure or breakdown of a heater or air-conditioner
  • a fault or damage which makes the premises unsafe or insecure.

If urgent repairs are needed you should notify us immediately if possible.  If you cannot reach us and you are concerned about danger or damage to property, check your Tenancy Agreement for the details of a nominated tradesperson to contact.  If no one on the list is available, you may arrange for the work to be done and be reimbursed by the landlord (but only up to $1000).  However, you must be able to show that:

  • it was not possible to contact us OR you contacted us but we did not respond to your concern
  • the need for the urgent repair was not your fault
  • the repairs were carried out by a licensed tradesperson (if appropriate)
  • In order to be reimbursed, you must give us a written request setting out the details of the repair and copies of all receipts. The agency/landlord is required to pay you back within 14 days of receiving your notice. If not paid within 14 days, you can apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for an order on the landlord to pay you.

For detailed information on legal rights/ responsibilities of Tenants, Agents and Landlords: see the NSW Fair Trading web-site.